web analytics
≡ Menu

 The ABC gets their targeted ‘scalp’—Christian Porter’s!

20.09.21.  Former attorney-general Christian Porter has been forced to quit the Morrison government frontbench over mystery donations supporting his legal fight with the ABC after the public broadcaster launched a campaign against him over unproven rape allegations. Mr Porter on Sunday defended his innocence against the historic allegations and accused the ABC of constructing a narrative of guilt around him that set a dangerous standard of “trial by accusation”. The ABC and Mr Porter reached a settlement earlier this year that required the public broadcaster to permanently place an editorial note on the initial February 26 article saying it did “not intend to suggest that Mr Porter had committed the criminal offences alleged”.

Source: Max Maddison and Joe Kelly, NCA

Christian Porter resigns from federal cabinet to save trust donors from ‘trial by mob’

“Both parties accept that some readers misinterpreted the article as an accusation of guilt against Mr Porter,” the note reads. “That reading, which was not intended by the ABC, is regretted.”
The article, which alleged an unnamed cabinet minister was facing historical rape allegations dating to a high school debating competition in 1988, remains online.
After a week of intense scrutiny over Mr Porter’s decision to use a blind trust to help pay for his defamation battle with the ABC, Scott Morrison announced that the industry minister had handed in his resignation on Sunday afternoon.
The Prime Minister said by not disclosing the parties who had contributed to the funding of his defamation action case, Mr Porter could not “conclusively rule out a perceived conflict of interest” under the ministerial standards.
“Ministers have an obligation to avoid any perception of conflicts of interest. And that is what, ultimately, has led the minister to make that decision,” he said.
“I take ministerial standards very seriously. My ministers understand that and they have taken action where it has been necessary to ensure those standards are upheld.”
In a lengthy statement, Mr Porter said he considered he had adhered to the proper disclosure requirements expected of ministers, defended his decision to take legal action against the ABC and argued that the rape allegations against him lacked credibility.
He said his decision came down to breaking the confidentiality of the blind trust or foregoing his cabinet position and there was “only one choice I could, in all conscience, make”.
“Consequently, I provided the Prime Minister with my resignation,” he said.
“It is effective immediately.”
Mr Porter said people had contributed to his legal fees case against the ABC under “well-known and regular legal structures” and did so on the “belief that their contribution would remain confidential”.
“Even though I suspected action against the taxpayer-funded broadcaster was probably going to be financially unsustainable, as it ultimately was, I decided I had to commence action against the ABC,” he said.
“Whilst I have no right of access to the funding or conduct of the trust, on my request the trustee provided me an assurance that none of the contributors were lobbyists or prohibited foreign entities,” he said. “This additional information was provided as part of my ministerial disclosure.”
“No doubt the desire of some, possibly many, of those contributors to remain anonymous was driven by a natural desire to avoid the inevitable fact that for supporting me, the trial by mob would inevitably turn on them if they were identified.”
Labor attacked the outcome, with Anthony Albanese saying Mr Porter still needed to declare “where this money came from” because MPs as well as ministers had a duty not to “accept money from anonymous donors for a private legal matter”.
“Scott Morrison should, just once, fess up with Christian Porter, say where this money came from, how much of it was there, and why was it given,” the Opposition Leader said.
“These are all questions that demand answers.
“He’s not fit to be a member of parliament.”
Opposition legal affairs spokesman Mark Dreyfus said Mr Porter was “still in receipt of up to $1m in secret donations, and Mr Morrison is apparently comfortable with this”, arguing that Mr Porter’s resignation from cabinet did not “draw a line under this matter”.
Mr Porter also chose to escalate his criticism of the ABC on Sunday, accusing it of creating a “new standard … without due process or fairness”, which meant allegations could now be considered sufficient to result in an accusation being published and unleashing an “inescapable media frenzy where the evidence … appeared to be irrelevant.”
“All that appeared to matter was the presence of an accusation.
“To my disbelief, even in some mainstream media the onus of proof was completely reversed,” Mr Porter said.
“From that point, when the reporting on both social media generally and in parts of the mainstream media shifted from a presumption of innocence to one of guilt, an impossible standard was set for any person to meet ¬ politician or not.
“It has resulted in constant abuse and ongoing threats. For me personally, the physical threats of violence, the experience of being spat at and publicly abused for something I didn’t do has been nearly beyond comprehension in a civilised country.”
Mr Porter will now move to the backbench but said he had “no intention” of standing aside from his responsibilities to the people of Pearce – the electorate to which he was elected in 2013.
His portfolio responsibilities of industry, science and technology will be filled by Energy Minister Angus Taylor, with Mr Morrison saying he would have “more to say” about the prospect of a frontbench reshuffle when he returned from the US, where he is attending the first face-to-face meeting of the Quad grouping including the US, Australia, Japan and India.
Mr Porter said it was clear the public broadcaster had selectively chosen evidence that fed into its “narrative of guilt” and he had obtained, from a source outside the ABC, a “copy of the only signed document that the person who made and subsequently withdrew the complaint ever made”.
“Many parts of that 88-page document are such that any reasonable person would conclude that they show an allegation that lacks credibility; was based on repressed memory (which has been completely rejected by courts as unreliable and dangerous); which relied on diaries said to be drafted in 1990-91 but which were actually words composed in 2019; and was written by someone who was, sadly, very unwell,” he said.
“Presumably because this document detracts so substantively from the credibility of the allegations there has been careful and deliberate avoidance in reporting it or publishing the parts of it that run counter to the chosen narrative.”
The consequence of setting in motion its “trial by accusation” was the unleashing of “the Twitter version of an angry mob”, which had no regard for evidence and turned on anyone who “contradicted the narrative of guilt by accusation”.
“So fierce and vengeful is the response of the Twitter mob to anyone who dares say anything contrary to the narrative of guilt that those people then come to be deemed to commit a form of social crime for defending the subject of the unproven allegation and the mob turns on them,” he said.
Mr Porter’s decision to resign and go to the backbench continues the fall from grace of a politician once touted as a future prime minister.
Although he was yet to receive the findings from an investigation by the Department of Premier and Cabinet, the Prime Minister on Sunday said further discussions between himself and the Pearce MP had led to Mr Porter making his “own decision”.

{ 21 comments… add one }
  • Cliff 20/09/2021, 6:23 am

    Dan Murphy’s in Ultimo will need to bring in extra champagne to re-stock after the bash the ABC Staff Collective will throw to celebrate this victory.

  • Honeybadger 20/09/2021, 6:46 am

    Christian Porter was put in the position of needing to create a blind Trust by the ABC vipers Milligan etc, with their “trial by accusation”. Defence costs bankrupt. These evil people got what they wanted, another life ruined.
    Year after year the ABC juggernaut of unwatchable malevolence, rolls on, nothing alters except it gets worse. Liberals have had the chance yet do nothing.

    • Maryanne 20/09/2021, 9:02 am

      They are a poisonous nest of vipers and need to be eradicated.

  • Uber 20/09/2021, 7:04 am

    I’m not buying this. This is a million dollars going unexplained. Something fishy going on here. These people couldn’t care less about locking up millions of Australians, closed borders, or plunging the nation into a debt ridden penury, but this guy is concerned about the privacy of a donor? Please.

    • Penguinite 20/09/2021, 7:49 am

      You may not be “buying it” but you, like us, are still obliged to pay for the unnecessary ABC legal debacles. All the pollies use Blind Trusts to stow their assets for the duration of their terms. None of them declares the names of Managers. We, on the other hand, are compelled to give the ABC our blind trust.

    • Disgruntled 20/09/2021, 7:54 am

      Uber; Are you just stirring? Or are you just plain stupid??

      Porter needed to defend himself against the unsubstantiated claims by the behemoth otherwise known as the ABC.
      The ABC’s expenses are supplied BY US (and the bastards think they can get away with any and everything) where Porter has to fund his own.

      There are a lot of very passionate and decent people that really do want to help but that help MUST be anonymous as there has been an enormous amount of documented examples of the “baying leftie mob” destroying the businesses of anyone of the right.

      Uber; grow up mate and act your age!

  • luk1955 20/09/2021, 7:15 am

    If I were the leader of the liberal party, I would be cutting the funding of the Australian Broadcaster of Communism. Government has enough propaganda outlets like Pravda and Tass that we do not need this communistic media service. We already have enough communist media services in Australia. The 4 majors but I won’t mention names other than they have tv channels.

  • TL46 20/09/2021, 7:25 am

    What about the rape allegations concerning Bill Shorten?

  • Disgruntled 20/09/2021, 7:33 am

    Morrison just had to??? throw Porter under the bus on a totally unsubstantionated accusation hoping the baying for “a head on the platter” mob may ease off a little; It will not!! The frenzied baying mob will not stop till Porter is nothing but a memory! And the mob is still being stirred along by that greasy grub Albo. That opposition A-G is not worth a mention; even a little one; non gratis is the term I think.

    I would think that seeing as how Porter has had his chosen career totally destroyed on not a real shred of evidence (aided and abetted by the ?great? ABC) it IS TIME that Albanese and Dreyfus actually did the honourable thing and started looking at their own bloke Shorten. They won’t though as it is not in the DNA of anyone of the left to even consider querying another of the keft. Shorten’s accuser is still alive and able to answer any question.

    It is way past time that Morrison needs to publicly and seriously call out the ABC for their lack of accountability; as well as everything else that they do not do as they should do.

    Labor has some decent people but mostly the ones that we see are quite stupid in their interviews. (yeaterday I sew Ed Husic being interviewed and I thought to myself what a dill he really is. And adding to that he must really believe that we are dills to even listen to the drivel! (Joel Fitzy is one of the very best and blimey he is leaving the house; Australia’s loss; But he can do more outside as no one in the house takes any notice of his views as his views do not support the leftie ideology)

  • Penguinite 20/09/2021, 7:52 am

    Porters departure, I presume, takes care of the precarious majority keeping the Libs on the Treasury Benches.

  • PW 20/09/2021, 7:56 am

    Let’s not forget that that anonymous donor also paid the ABC by paying off the lies from Milligan. It’s a vicious circle.

  • Cliff 20/09/2021, 8:05 am

    Christian Porter’s political demise is a huge win/win for both the ALP and Scottie from Marketing. For the ALP, because it has removed one of the more credible and promising potential leaders of the Liberal Party of the future.

    And for Scottie from Marketing? For exactly the same reason. One threat to his leadership gone. Next on the list? My guess would be someone who is prematurely bald.

  • Botswana O'Hooligan 20/09/2021, 8:15 am

    Morrison threw Porter under a bus hired by the ABC for the occasion and they paid for with taxpayers money.

  • Lorraine 20/09/2021, 8:49 am

    Tax payers money used by Milligan and The ABC to fight a court case they say had no chance of winning. but of course it was the baying mob that kept on baying..A blind trust if Porter did not know the givers, how could he ever have paid back in kind with a nod nod in Government. The left with Union money, Chinese money ,and all the frauds available sits pretty and sits in judgement…..Why oh Why do the Liberals fund the ABC, what fools they make of us the taxpayer.

    • Ian_A 20/09/2021, 1:33 pm

      Absolutely, L.

  • Sir Peter 20/09/2021, 9:41 am

    That’s it!! The final straw. Morrison has to go. The stupid man finally proven beyond all doubt that he is a fool.

    DUTTON FOR PM ASAP, certainly before the next erection – sorry, election. I got my wires crossed, a General erection is what Milley gets when he hears the International 🎼

    • DT 20/09/2021, 11:00 am

      “The Prime Minister said by not disclosing the parties who had contributed to the funding of his defamation action case, Mr Porter could not “conclusively rule out a perceived conflict of interest” under the ministerial standards.
      “Ministers have an obligation to avoid any perception of conflicts of interest. And that is what, ultimately, has led the minister to make that decision,” he said.
      “I take ministerial standards very seriously. My ministers understand that and they have taken action where it has been necessary to ensure those standards are upheld.”
      In a lengthy statement, Mr Porter said he considered he had adhered to the proper disclosure requirements expected of ministers, defended his decision to take legal action against the ABC and argued that the rape allegations against him lacked credibility.
      He said his decision came down to breaking the confidentiality of the blind trust or foregoing his cabinet position and there was “only one choice I could, in all conscience, make”.
      “Consequently, I provided the Prime Minister with my resignation,” he said.
      “It is effective immediately.”
      Mr Porter said people had contributed to his legal fees case against the ABC under “well-known and regular legal structures” and did so on the “belief that their contribution would remain confidential”.
      “Even though I suspected action against the taxpayer-funded broadcaster was probably going to be financially unsustainable, as it ultimately was, I decided I had to commence action against the ABC,” he said.
      “Whilst I have no right of access to the funding or conduct of the trust, on my request the trustee provided me an assurance that none of the contributors were lobbyists or prohibited foreign entities,” he said. “This additional information was provided as part of my ministerial disclosure.”
      “No doubt the desire of some, possibly many, of those contributors to remain anonymous was driven by a natural desire to avoid the inevitable fact that for supporting me, the trial by mob would inevitably turn on them if they were identified.”
      Labor attacked the outcome, with Anthony Albanese saying Mr Porter still needed to declare “where this money came from” because MPs as well as ministers had a duty not to “accept money from anonymous donors for a private legal matter”.
      “Scott Morrison should, just once, fess up with Christian Porter, say where this money came from, how much of it was there, and why was it given,” the Opposition Leader said.
      “These are all questions that demand answers.
      “He’s not fit to be a member of parliament.””

      • Lorraine 20/09/2021, 11:25 am

        albo forgot about the ALDI BAGS OF MONEY FROM THE Chinese……..well well

      • Disgruntled 20/09/2021, 11:25 am

        D T; your statement just fully reinforces what Cliff said @ 8:05.; and Cliff, yer got that right mate!

        D T. A full disclosure would have got everybody other than Greasy under the bus; Morrison included and would have destroyed the trust that some donors (who want AND NEED to remain anon.) have in the mp’s that are recieving the donation.

        All suckers and all their Hangers-on (unions and many quasi groups that are masquerading as “almost anything” donate freely to Labor and it’s all sweet according to Labor!

        Hey BTW I am really against most anon donations but this case of Porters does indeed need a special exemption; I know my point sounds silly but that is how I do see it!

        And AFAIAC Albo can go to his corner and try his hardest to make babies with himself and his boot; that should keep him occupied for a little while at least.

    • Ian_A 20/09/2021, 1:32 pm

      Morrison is typical centre right — too frightened to take a stand on anything lest the opposition start screeching. Here the Green Party’s official media outlet, the ABC, destroys the career of his attorney general, all on our dime, and Morrison does nothing — even though he should give the ABC a good kick in ze/zey trans-balls.

  • davey streey 20/09/2021, 9:13 pm

    And who paid the ABC’s legal bills in this outrageous defamation case. YOU AND I, AND EVERY OTHER BLOODY TAXPAYER, THAT’S WHO !!! SHOULD OUR NAMES ALL BE PUBLISHED AS CONTRIBUTING TO THE AUSTRALIAN BULLSH*T CORPORATION’S LEGALS BECAUSE OF THEIR COTERIE OF FAR LEFT RICH ELITE LABOR GREEN WOMEN RESPONSIBLE FOR YET ANOTHER LIBELLOUS SLANDEROUS DEBACLE ? RESIGN, ITA BUTTROSE, YOU ARE A JOKE AND SO IS YOUR ABC, OWNED AND CONTROLLED AS IT IS, BY THE CPSU.

Leave a Comment