Pascoe says his community accepts him—Really?

14.01.20. As the metaphoric noose tightens around Bruce Pascoe’s neck over his claim of being an Aboriginal he must awake every morning wondering what’s next. Bruce’s defensive strategy has turned to one of “poor me” as “nasty” bastards ask him about his derivation. He says, “But there is a way of asking that question. And it’s about politeness and decency. And do you ask a stranger that first up? Perhaps bruvver Bruce could offer some guidance on that subject. How do you ask a person if they are a bullshitting, lying, scamming fraud without appearing rude, insensitive and aggressive? Anyone reading the following article is sure to come away believing that Bruce Pascoe is deep in denial—deep enough to be excused by reason of mental illness, the kind and respectful word for insanity?
Bruce Pascoe is hurt and mystified by those questioning his Aboriginality and referral of the claims to police, saying he has demonstrated his indigenous heritage to his community.

Source: Mathew Denholm

My community accepts my Aboriginality: Dark Emu author Bruce Pascoe

Professor Pascoe, joint winner of a $30,000 inaugural Indigenous Writers’ Prize in 2016, told The Australian people had a right to raise questions but that there was a “nasty” tone to debate over Aboriginality. “I think it’s natural enough for Australians to want to know that Aboriginal people who say they are Aboriginal are in fact Aboriginal,” he said.
“I haven’t met these people and yet they want to comment about my family.”
“These people” is a reference to Aboriginal entrepreneur Josephine Cashman, whose complaint about Professor Pascoe led Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton to refer the matter to the Australian Federal Police.
“I don’t really know what to make of it, and I’m too bloody busy to bother about it at the moment,” said Professor Pascoe at an indigenous festival in Cygnet, south of Hobart, where he is to appear in a panel discussion. “There’ll be a time when I will, but right at the moment I’ve got other things on my mind. Our life isn’t an episode of My Kitchen Rules; we’re not here to kick people off the set or off the game — we should be trying to work together for a better country, not for a nastier country.”
The author of the acclaimed Dark Emu, which argues for a reassessment of the hunter-­gatherer label applied to traditional Aboriginal life, said he was still concerned about the fate of properties near his home in Mallacoota, having spent weeks defending his farm and others from bushfires.
He said he was in no doubt he was of Aboriginal descent and was accepted in his community as such. “I always have been — not everybody everywhere (accepts me), but in the communities where I’ve lived I’ve been accepted because the community has ­actually helped me with tracing family,” he said.
Professor Pascoe, who holds a position at the University of Technology Sydney’s Jumbunna Institute for Indigenous Education and Research, said he did not favour Aboriginal self-identification alone but that there were flaws with an Aboriginal register or DNA testing.
“We need to have a decent conversation about it (methods for establishing Aboriginality) but in indigenous communities where quantum DNA registries have been tried, they have destroyed community — they haven’t built community,” he said.
“So we have to be careful about that. I told my kids when there was talk of blood quantum coming into Australia to determine identity that if they did the mathematics test they did on First Nation American people, we would fall below the line.
“But I said ‘It won’t change our life’. Our life has been within the community ,and always will be.”
In an email to Mr Dutton, Ms Cashman disputed Professor Pascoe’s past statements that he was of Bunurong and Yuin descent, alleging these were not supported by a genealogy search.
She said the historian had benefited financially from his claim to Aboriginality.
The AFP on Monday said it was still assessing material provided by Ms Cashman to Mr Dutton. Professor Pascoe said he was yet to hear from the AFP.
Tasmanian Aboriginal leader Rodney Dillon on Monday backed Professor Pascoe, saying the issue was “nothing to do with Dutton” or police; all that mattered was Professor Pascoe was accepted by his own community as Aboriginal.
“It’s not the role of government; that’s not the place where you do this sort of thing,” he said. “It’s only up to his local community that he lives in and works with.”

• Botswana O'Hooligan 14/01/2020, 8:15 am

Another bullshit artist ripping the taxpayer off by pretence.

• Lorraine 14/01/2020, 8:29 am

only the left will deny and deny. Andrew Bolt called his heritage out and no where in all the papers registered at births deaths and marriages show anything other than white …..But we have a few pale skins doing the aboriginal dance. There has always been a financial benefit .

• DT 14/01/2020, 9:16 am

Like Ernie Dingo’s welcome to country that is now presented as traditional, and even played out in the Parliament since PM Gillard agreed with Oakeshott MP that it was appropriate.

• Bob 14/01/2020, 8:33 am

I’m of the view that if you’re full blood, you’re good to go, if you’re 50%, you get to choose and if less than that, you’re whatever’s prominent. Claiming to be indigenous with less than 25% is a stretch.

• DT 14/01/2020, 9:13 am

It is pathetic that Pascoe is claiming that DNA testing is flawed.

• Bwana Neusi 14/01/2020, 1:51 pm

Agreed Bob although I would add a qualification to that.

If aboriginality is the predominant DNA, then by all means claim aboriginality, but if a combination of European or other ethnicity predominates then that is the only one that you can claim.

• Red 14/01/2020, 9:11 am

Sad..I know people who are actively seeking any HINT of Aboriginal in the bloodline. They openly declare it is ‘for their children’.
    They can access freebies such as education, housing, work (disadvantaged).
    The sooner they stop this ror, the better.
    Moral corruption is crippling the world.

• Cliff 14/01/2020, 10:36 am

I was out to dinner a few weeks ago and two of the other guests were waxing so lyrical about Pascoe’s book and its earth-shattering revelations about Aboriginal sophistication, industry and civilisation, it might well have been a newly-discovered chapter of the Bible.

Needless to say, both hail from Canberra.

• pattoh 14/01/2020, 10:59 am

I ‘ll bet he would be a fan of Elisabeth Warren too.

• Theydon Wood 14/01/2020, 12:05 pm

The bloke admits him and his would “fall below the line”. End of.

• Bwana Neusi 14/01/2020, 1:54 pm

So based on “Tasmanian Aboriginal leader Rodney Dillon on Monday backed Professor Pascoe… all that mattered was Professor Pascoe was accepted by his own community” Enter Bruce the transgender Aborigine, (just as long as the trannies accept him).

• Geoff 14/01/2020, 4:00 pm

The next scam to arise, will be Aboriginals advising on hazard reduction burning, or ‘cultural burning’ as they term it, and being paid a motza for their ‘knowledge’.
    Yesterday afternoon, on the Ben Fordham show, presented by Luke Grant on 2GB, there was some part Aboriginal ‘expert’ on fire management dribbling on about how they managed the problem, all those years ago. The ‘expert’, Oliver Costello, from the ‘Fire sticks alliance indigenous corporation’, banged on for over 10 minutes but never managed to say exactly how this ‘cultural burning’ functioned, and how it can be applied today.
    He told a story of how some old bloke could light a grass fire near a billabong, and could say exactly where the fire’s advance would stop. Anyone could do that, if the grass was short and dry, and damp near the billabong.
    I have never heard so much BS.
    As I said, this will be another rip off industry.
    If you are interested, open the link and advance to 1:40:00. Maybe you can understand the garbage.

• Cliff 15/01/2020, 7:30 am

OhmyGod… this is going to bring a whole new dimension to those #### smoking cereMOANies we’ve had to endure at every public event over the last few years, isn’t it?

• Grumpy-old-woman 17/01/2020, 12:38 pm

Geoff
    You’ve got it in one. They are already gearing up for the manna from heaven.
    Based in NSW
    Now remind me, i thought “Koori” was the term for a Victorian aboriginal?