Notre Dame in Paris ablaze!

16.04.19. A major fire has broken out at Paris’s famous medieval Notre Dame cathedral, leading firefighters to evacuate the area around one of the city’s most visited landmarks. Smoke could be seen billowing from the top of the gothic cathedral, as flames spread from the cathedrals two bell towers toward its giant spire, which has collapsed.
Oh dear, while visiting Notre Dame in my youth, as most Aussies did, an attendant gave me some history, in French. He said the bell ringer was the hunchback Qiasimodo. Excited by Easter he was madly ringing all the bells as loud as he could but slipped and splattered on the pavement far below. A crowd gathered and a gendarme asked a priest who the body was. The priest said, “I don’t know his name, but his face rings a bell.” I think that was the translation.Source: Reuters

Notre Dame cathedral in Paris engulfed by devastating fire

It was not immediately clear what had caused the fire, which drew crowds of people to gather in nearby squares.
France 2 television reported that police were treating the incident as an accident.
The cathedral, which dates back to the 12th century and is famous for featuring in Victor Hugo’s classic novel the Hunchback of Notre Dame, attracts millions of tourists every year.
“A terrible fire is underway at Notre Dame cathedral in Paris,” Mayor Anne Hidalgo said on Twitter.
A major operation was under way, the fire department said, while a city hall spokesman said on Twitter that the area was being cleared.
French President Emmanuel Macron has cancelled his planned speech to the nation in light of the “terrible fire” underway at Paris’ Notre Dame cathedral, said an official at the president’s Elysee office.
The news came as the fire spread towards the giant spire of the cathedral, as crowds gathered in nearby squares
Notre Dame was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding, while bronze statues were removed last week for works.

• luk1955 16/04/2019, 7:03 am

I’ll wager that since the fire started 6 minutes after workers left, that a moozie worker took the opportunity to start the fire. 9 centuries old wood, nice and dry for the slightest spark. Being one of the renovation team, it would be so easy in this islamic country to start that fire. But the police would never admit that as there would be riots in the streets of Paris, well new riots anyway.

• Geoff Unicomb 16/04/2019, 8:10 am

I thought the same, luk1995. I hope that this is considered. With the number of ragheads, in Paris, there is a good chance that at least one was working on the renovations.
      Hang on – raghead ‘working’. Hmmm, maybe I should reconsider that.

• Pensioner Pete 16/04/2019, 8:29 am

This is the kind of thing ISIS are well known to do.

• Deano 16/04/2019, 10:23 am

The ABC was reporting it was “unsure” how the fire started. That’s a big clue right there.

• Graham 16/04/2019, 2:06 pm

I may have my facts wrong but I read somewhere that the fire had started after work had finished for the day??

Islamists have been burning churches in France for sometime. Also, I don’t see how the authorities could possibly say it was an accident at this point in time except as luk says – to prevent riots.

• Graham 16/04/2019, 2:46 pm

and its Easter Time!

• Graham Richards 16/04/2019, 7:08 am

If one wants to make mischief a building under construction ,restoration, alteration is a sitting duck. Security is almost impossible as tradesmen, delivery persons, contractors are free to move about uncontrolled. The truth may be published but will more likely be covered up. With state on unrest in France anything is possible. I have my suspicions!!
    Let’s wait & see who claims responsibility!

• DT 16/04/2019, 8:15 am

How sad.

• Aktosplatz 16/04/2019, 8:41 am

Micron reckons it will be rebuilt.

• Penguinite 16/04/2019, 9:43 am

I hear tell he has started a “Crowd Funding Page?

• Penguinite 16/04/2019, 9:47 am

If Islam is involved, at any level, the furor could ignite the next Crusade. Micron will, of course, do his utmost to mitigate that suggestion.

• Pensioner Pete 16/04/2019, 11:22 am

Pen: She’ll be right mate, Emmanuel Macron will undoubtedly call upon the services of Jacinda Ardern for advice and how to ensure appeasement is at maximum throttle.

• Bob 16/04/2019, 3:14 pm

I had my thoughts about that since the news came out, uncontrolled entry by tradesmen who could carry anything into the building without suspicion , the hierarchy will do anything suppress any suggestion that it might be an arson attack that could result in an avalanche of counter offensive and riots , hence Macron raced down to Paris to take damage control before some blabbermouth opens his or her trap telling the truth , history in France of revolution comes to mind