Kerryn Phelps is dependent not independent

10.05.19. Anderw Clennell reports in The Australian today that the good Dr Kerryn Phelps, temporary, we hope, Member for Wentworth pulled the wool over the voters’ eyes late last year by pretending to be truly independent. Phelps voted with the Greens 32 out of the 42 times in the House of Representatives.
Dr Phelps’s Liberal opponent, Dave Sharma, said: “The voters in Wentworth deserve better than being told to wait and see which party their representative would support when considering key legislation in the parliament.

Source: News Corp

Kerryn Phelps defends Greens leaning

Kerryn Phelps has voted with the Greens 32 out of the 42 times she has voted in the House of Representatives, leading to warnings from her Liberal opponent that a vote for the independent MP is a vote for Labor and the Greens.
The revelation on her siding with the Greens comes after The Australian last month revealed that Dr Phelps had voted 30 times with Labor, an indicator she would be more likely to back Labor leader Bill Shorten than Scott Morrison’s Coalition should there be a hung parliament.
Dr Phelps yesterday said her voting record was no guarantee that she would back the Opposition Leader into minority government and she would oppose Mr Shorten’s changes to negative gearing and franking credits.
“Minority government remains a hypothetical but as a starting point, I oppose Labor’s changes to franking credits, capital gains tax and negative gearing,” Dr Phelps said.
“I am a small-l liberal ­— economically conservative and socially progressive. I stood up for mortgage brokers after the banking royal commission and support tax cuts for businesses and wage earners. I also believe in climate change and phasing out live sheep exports.
“I believe Australia should provide better urgent medical treatment for asylum-seekers in our care but I also support boat turnbacks and towbacks and a regional resettlement process.
“I said I would not threaten supply, and I did not threaten ­supply. I said I would not threaten confidence and abstained from politically motivated motions put up by the opposition and other minor parties.”
“Dr Phelps’s voting record during her time in parliament shows that she is almost certain to support Labor and the Greens.”
Among the legislation on which Dr Phelps has sided with the Greens was voting against the drought relief fund.

• Popular Front 10/05/2019, 6:39 am

She’ll get the arse at the General Election. The Wentworth voters registered their displeasure at the recent by-election but it is now back to practical realities. Remember she got in on preferences only.

• Billy Bunter 10/05/2019, 6:58 pm

Phelpzberg will have her head handed to her. She nailed her colours to the mast with the “Refugee Evacuation Bill” which led to 1billion (at least!) garnished from the taxpayer to deal with it. Full bore leftism, right in the epicentre of Straya’s filthiest of the filthy rich suburbs. If this lot vote her in, then bring on the highrises for refugees in Bondi, Vaucluse, Belleview Hill, Double Bay and especially Point Piper (self-identified, no documents required) from all corners of the globe as well as a brand new subterranean express train from Western Sydney (free tickets!). Let her deal with it.

• Cliff 10/05/2019, 8:08 am

I’m unhappy to report that I know one Wentworth voter who will still vote for Dr Phelps. She can’t tell me why, except that Dr Phelps is not Tony Abbott, which to her, seems to be enough. Yes, I did say ‘Tony Abbott’.
    We really need to stop this compulsory voting nonsense.

• Penguinite 10/05/2019, 9:09 am

If she dupes the electorate again they’ll have to rename it “Goneworth”

• Biking Voter 10/05/2019, 9:20 am

Given that most residents of Wentworth are not exactly down on their luck and if they do vote her in again it goes to show that money don’t buy brains.

• Lorraine 10/05/2019, 9:46 am

I see her as a snake , a fox , the Greenie , I am so much smarter than you. Just watch me get it done my way.

• Aktosplatz 10/05/2019, 10:22 am

Wentworth seems to be a constituency that is definitely not typical of Australia as a whole. So you have to expect a non typical member elected on their behalf. Obviously Phelps is that, but isn’t Sharma a LINO as well?

• Biking Voter 10/05/2019, 10:36 am

They are all LINO’s these days as they supplicate themselves to the whims of the UN and their globalist masters.

• Austin Ayforti 10/05/2019, 11:27 am

He certainly is Akto. A self confessed proud LINO.