Craig Kelly: Where to now—Independent!

24.02.21.  Craig Kelly says his decision to resign from the Liberal Party is with a “very heavy heart” but maintains the move is necessary if he’s to speak up on his beliefs and best represent his constituents. In an exclusive interview with Sky News Political Editor Andrew Clennell, Mr Kelly said he would continue to support the government and had the “greatest respect for Scott Morrison”. “If I’m best to represent the constituents of my area and to be faithful to the oath I took when I swore in as a member of parliament, and to speak frankly and fearlessly, I need to do that from the crossbench rather than the government benches,” he said. “I will support the government naturally of course on all matter of supply, confidence, there’s nothing that I can see that’s on the agenda papers that I’m going to be objecting too strenuously on what the government is doing. “But I just feel that if I’m to speak out and to use my voice the best I can that this is the best decision for myself and the people I represent.”

Source: Sky News

• Cliff 24/02/2021, 6:06 am

I think it would be more accurate to say that the Liberal Party left Craig Kelly than Craig Kelly left the sorry excuse for a supposedly right of centre party the Liberal Party has become.

Some could be forgiven for thinking that the Labor Party very cleverly planted more than a few of ‘their own’ in damn near every Liberal Party branch twenty years ago with a brief to destroy it from within by gaining pre-selection for safe Liberal seats. If that’s what really did happen, they’ve been wildly successful – a damn sight more successful than they’ve managed to be with those of ‘their own’ who remained and openly stayed within the Labor Party.

Do both Parties (and Australia) an enormous favour, Labor – take back your own and let them run/ruin Labor now. Their work is done in the Liberal Party. They have destroyed it.

• Ozman 24/02/2021, 6:13 am

Evidently, Mr. David Hurley : Governor-General of Australia, Mr. Scott Morrison : Prime Minister and Mr. Greg Hunt : Australia Health Minister, were sent a letter from United Health Professionals (https://www.facebook.com/United-Health-Professionals-113530073772726)

The letter is at the following link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1isQz7DH5WxgvqxUsBpmTFEp38Vc4lnNe/view?fbclid=IwAR02bLqLSE50NfXZnOesYCeBDisIdXmdUziNuxQXvUmT6yebtZsdKfBu9pc

If Scott Morrison and Greg Hunt had read the letter, they would be listening to Craig Kelly. He definitely appears to have a heavy heart. Unfortunately, I do not live in Craig Kelly’s electorate, otherwise, I would definitely vote for him as an independent.

• seadogger 24/02/2021, 6:35 am

Well MalMo looks like your chickens are starting to leave the coop. Not much room for error from hereon in is there. With a dud Defence Minister,a dud Deputy PM and several other knuckle draggers enjoy the ride.

• luk1955 24/02/2021, 8:10 am

Stay truly independent Craig. Stay away from the parties and be your own man. And thank you for standing up for those of us who have seen the light and the agenda behind the conjob coup.

• Steve 24/02/2021, 8:18 am

Has anyone noticed that Andrew Hastie has gone very quiet. I said it the day Morrison promoted him to the front bench. It was nothing more than a ploy to keep him quiet. I sent Hastie an email outlining some concerns 2 weeks ago. No reply. No surprises. Before his promotion he would reply and sometimes even call but no more. Another trough dweller in the making.

• Disgruntled 24/02/2021, 8:37 am

Got to keep the decent ones quiet eh?
      The Libs are slowly sliding away to the left and in some cases actually leaping to the left; instance the NSW Libs, especially the keen Mat Kean. How any party espousing liberal values could have anyone like him in the party let alone having a ministerial position really shows how far NSW Libs have gone down the S-chute. The pre-selecters are truly a bad bunch and the party member branches must surely be hi-jacked!!!

• Disgruntled 24/02/2021, 8:20 am

There is absolutely no doubt that Craig Kelly is very well researched and very intelligent in his interpretation of the facts that he gets and this makes him a very desirable politician.
    This cannot be said for most Liberals especially those from the cesspit of the NSW drongos.

I wish Craig well where ever he hangs his hat and where ever that is he would improve that group greatly! He will get a lot of vitriol (a whole lot) coming his way from his detractors both from the left, extreme left and his own LINO “mates”. All who want to ignore reality
    Actually I kinda hope he goes towards the Nats; They could do with his knowledge etc. and it might even give numbers to get rid of the dud Deputy PM from that position as he always comes across as a Lib. sycophant.

Go Craig; The good people of Australia need someone like you.

• Lorraine 24/02/2021, 8:23 am

I have followed Craig Kelly on face book, he is spot on with reports on climate change. BOM and their removed data of the hottest day. How many Coal fired power plants are being built overseas….He has been insistent that both the drugs H & I will help in the early stages ,if contracting Covid 19. A Professor in Australia has also been instrumental in using the Drugs in the old peoples homes.. That we do not know this is Main stream media, shut their eyes and ears to it…so does Greg Hunt and the PM……No wonder we trust no one,the lies are on going ,from both sides of politics

• Aktosplatz 24/02/2021, 9:13 am

All the above posts concerning Craig Kelly are excellent, and I couldn’t agree more. He has reminded me of Donald Trump who fought on for his country’s rights and called BS when he saw it.

Craig is like that, and does his homework too. He’s an excellent politician. If I lived in his constituency I would vote for him.

In contrast, it shows the Liberal Party are best avoided at the polls. They’re now completely useless.

• Penguinite 24/02/2021, 9:28 am

Well said MMers! No words to add but my support for Kelly is ongoing! He knows his time as a Liberal member are running out but his move to the XBench will at least give Government second thoughts. I guess Slymo will use this as a trigger for an early election because he needs a little more wriggle room, for carbon neutrality, than The Speakers casting vote! I just hope we are blessed with more independents when ‘tick-time’ comes cause I just can’t vote Labor! To not vote or spoil my vote is an anathema.

• Fedup 24/02/2021, 10:02 am

It is good he talks of HCQ & Ivermectin (sp) but he still supports that idiot Slomo.

• Disgruntled 24/02/2021, 11:33 am

Heard the news of covid vaccine overdoses??
    Seems that in a Qld retirement home two elderly people got quad doses of vaccine by a so called medico and only called out by a nurse; In my view the so called medico wouldn’t qualify for a first dayer at the Boy Scouts.
    How can such incompetent fools be employed in such a serious position. Some heads should roll far here!!! Ie. who authorised all this and who really dunnit?????

Kinda makes me a bit reluctant!!

• Aktosplatz 24/02/2021, 2:59 pm

And no apparent ill effects from this massive overdose! Which leads me to ask ” Massive overdose of what?”
      Looks like the Old Placebo Effect.

• Botswana+O'Hooligan 24/02/2021, 12:09 pm

May one concur with the all the above and also wonder about Peter Dutton who has also gone very quiet and wonder some more about liberal party infighting we don’t know about.

• Aktosplatz 24/02/2021, 3:00 pm

I’m surprised he’s still there, Bots. Like Craig Kelly he is now out of sync with the Liberal Party.

• nev 24/02/2021, 12:41 pm

IMHO exactly the same disease that has swept through the US GOP, have proliferated here in Australia and in Britain.
    It always comes back to the undermining of the party principles by opposition plants quaintly recognised as RINOs or LINOs in Australia.
    This is a reflection of the foolish methods adopted by various selection processes that ensures these plants can openly sabotage the parties political direction.
    So the first port of call must be to fix the selection process (prevention to stop the cancer) That is the cause of the swing to the left of once firmly centrist parties. That’s why Intelligent, brave and patriotic politicians like Mr Kelly have to leave to free themselves from these frauds who attempt treason under another name, especially when their influence comes from the top echelons down.
    The other fault, is failure to eject them from the party the moment they are identified.

• PaulM 24/02/2021, 6:44 pm

“Liberal” in many countries is “Progressive” in its terminology, as I understand it. ( I don’t like progressive maybe it should start with an “R” )
      Are many in Australia confused as “Liberal” in Australia is, or rather was, more “Conservative”.
      How would a name change go at this late stage ?