Black pudding saves butcher’s life

Black pudding saves butcher’s life

Shed a tear for both butcher and black pudding.

As someone who adores good black pudding, but for import laws can’t find one in Australia to my satisfaction, is pleased the Scottish staple saved a life rather threatened the well being of some kid who hates eggs with fried black pudding and tomato sauce.

A butcher who became trapped in a walk-in freezer escaped thanks to a frozen black pudding. Chris McCabe, 70, said he got trapped after the freezer door in his shop in Totnes, Devon, blew shut behind him. Stranded in temperatures of -20C (-4F), with the door-release button frozen shut, he said he used the 1.5kg (3.3lbs) sausage as a battering ram on the release mechanism.Mr McCabe said: “No-one could hear me banging. Black pudding saved my life.”

Source: BBC

Black pudding saves butcher trapped in freezer

More news from Devon and Cornwall
‘Pointed and weighty’
Upon realising his predicament, Mr McCabe initially thought he “was OK because I could kick the safety button from inside”, but “this time it was frozen solid”.
Stuck in temperatures capable of killing a human in about an hour, the father-of-four searched frantically for an improvised tool to batter the button.
With the beef too slippery and the lamb too big, he happened on the “best thing” – the black pudding, made by the Queen’s butcher HM Sheridan of Ballater, Aberdeenshire, who Mr McCabe has been buying the pudding from for over 20 years.
He said: “It was the right shape. I used it like the police use battering rams to break door locks in. It was solid, pointed and I could get plenty of weight behind it.
“I’m lucky really. We sell about two or three each week and that was the last one in there.”

• luk1955 12/01/2018, 6:37 am

A safety device has failed again. Why those freezers have locks on them is beyond me. How many restaurants where these are have 10 year old employees who work there? They should have normal seals like frigs in your house. Because robbers use these freezers to lock in employees and leave them there, where the employees then freeze to death in short times.

• Penguinite 12/01/2018, 6:46 am

Wait for the crys of “black lives matter”! Why couldn’t he have used a white pudding.

• Willy 12/01/2018, 7:39 am

Because his white pudding wasn’t frozen stiff.

• Biking Voter 12/01/2018, 9:51 am

That’s funny coming from a willy 😂😂

• Penguinite 12/01/2018, 10:41 am

Willy or won’t he?

• Jarrah 12/01/2018, 7:30 am

I just love black pudding, with grilled tomato and mushrooms, might go and have some for breakfast, its a lifesaver.

• Albert 12/01/2018, 7:38 am

Where do you get it, Jarrah? It is simply not available in my neck-of-the-woods.

• Jarrah 12/01/2018, 8:38 am

Albert, I can get it from my local butcher and also from Coles supermarket delicatessen in Yamba. Cost is $3.50 at Coles. Hope you can get some, it is delicious.

• Albert 12/01/2018, 9:40 am

Jarrah, I have asked at my local Coles and Woolies but all I get from the counter jumpers is blank looks that tell me they haven’t got a clue what I am talking about. Then I am in Victoria and that probably explains things.

• Neville 12/01/2018, 5:09 pm

Pish! More likely that it was because you were in Coles and Woolies, not just simply Victoria, although I’d allow that!

• Jarrah 12/01/2018, 9:58 am

Albert, depending on where you live in Victoriastan you could try a continental deli or you can get it at 19 Portman Street Oakleigh, or 209 Springvale Road, Springvale or visit a Safeway supermarket. All the best with your searching, the ones I get from Coles are delicious.

• Penguinite 12/01/2018, 10:43 am

Careful J you’ll have the HRC on to you. Black Pudding is bound to offend someone!

• Jarrah 12/01/2018, 11:18 am

Bring it on, P, I would like to take on Tim Soupspoon from the HRC, you have to admit it is fun offending snowflakes, it should be a national sport and all that!!

• Neville 12/01/2018, 5:10 pm

Yes, well, as we all know, Black Puddings Matter!

• Botswana O'Hooligan 12/01/2018, 11:03 am

Coles and Woollies in Brisbane stock it in the section where cheeses and salami etc. are on sale. I got three lots at Woolies yesterday. The packet says that it is gluten free and MSG free and produced by Gotzinger Smallgoods 126 Lahrs Road Yatala 4207 phone 07-55493955 and sales@gotzinger.com and one supposes the website of gotzinger.com

There yez go Albert. It’s not quite as good as the stuff I remember from childhood but is as good as you will get.

• Albert 12/01/2018, 3:14 pm

Thanks to all. I’m 400kms from Melbourne so I will give that one a miss. I do my shopping on Saturday morning so I will give it another go and let you all now although I don’t hold much hope of success.

• Botswana O'Hooligan 12/01/2018, 4:46 pm

Albert, 400 from Melbourne would just about put you out of Victoria altogether. I read once, probably on a jam tin label or maybe inside of a beer bottle top, that the population of the whole World, given the population density of Paris, would all fit inside Tassie and Victoria with a bit left over. Wonder how we can do that and keep the bastards there, whilst the rest of us can just poke about as we please without having to look over our shoulders all the time and be scared of saying the wrong thing. My only hobby left in old age is lying to officialdom, State governments, federal ones, local ones, any and all of them. I am single, never married, divorced, estranged, widowed, abo, Torres Strait islander, Christian, atheist, a labourer, a female, and a few other things besides, depending. For Qantas and Virgin, I am my father and 103 years old with hobbies of cake decoration (for that poofter J of the white tailed rat fame and long before the cream puff incident) and one of braiding wire rope hawsers for ships for Virgin. Both outfits never offer me a wheelchair or assistance when I book a flight. For the people who accuse me of being a carrier of bulk explosives at airport security and stick a card under my nose I am as deaf as a post and show them my hearing aids sans batteries, I am also illiterate and state “I don’t read” which of course they misunderstand as, “I can’t read” and so I usually manage to get them shouting at the top of their voice at some poor deaf dumb bastard and making a spectacle of themselves. If we all did that the World would be a more fun place. Yesterday in Woollies after the weekly dog bathing exercise (hydro with a bunch of old Sheilas, only man there because their husbands probably died to escape them) I went to buy some black pudding, three lots ’cause they are on a special, I saw this joker done out in full regalia, the dark grey woolen night gown, the beard and whisker, the stern stare, the funny hat, very imposing. I put on a bit of a peer, a squinty eyed one, approached him and said, “missus, can you direct me to the canned veggie aisle please for I don’t see too good.” The look in his eyes was worth a thousand quid and made my day.

• Neville 12/01/2018, 5:13 pm

Jeez, BO’H, ease up on the humour a bit willya? I damn near fell off my chair laughing!! – pretty sure I sprained a rib or something!